Friday, November 25, 2011

Race

I am a racist.

Not a George Wallace racist.  I am more subtle than that.  But a racist nonetheless.

I want to talk about it because I am not particularly proud of that fact.

Maybe I should back up a minute.  I am a racist the way a lot of people are racists but never admit it.  I am talking all kinds of people including people that don’t think of themselves as racists yet are.

Talking about racism is hard so sometimes I am going to talk about homophobia, a subject that’s easier for me to talk about because it’s not as controversial.

In fact, it was when I dealt with my homophobic feelings that I realized I was a racist.  I am a homophobe, too.  And I am gay but then I am dark skinned, too.

What makes me a racist?

I think what makes me a racist is that I still, despite knowing better, haven’t gotten beyond skin color.

Now I admit I have tried.  I have even gone so far as to consider making friends with a black person in order to overcome my racial feelings but I live in Phoenix and with the exception of Salt Lake City there probably isn’t another large metropolitan area in the U.S. with fewer black people.  What I am trying to say is that I want to make friends with a black person but it’s difficult to naturally form friendships with black people when you live in a town where you can go all day without seeing a black person.  I mean I don’t want to make friends with a black person just because they are black.  I want it to happen more naturally than that.  I may be a racist but I’m not an insensitive racist.

But that’s getting off topic.  What makes me a racist is that when I see a black person that is the first thing, the middle thing and the last thing I notice – that person’s skin color – and I know that’s not right.  I should see the person first and the skin color should be secondary – it should be background music like his or her height or weight or shoe size. 

What is the point of this whole post?

Well, I am making progress.  Very slowly.  And that progress emboldens me.  It emboldens me so much that I am willing to risk being attacked for being racist in order to address my shortcomings.

And the fact that nobody reads my blog makes it easier for me to address this very sensitive issue.

What is this progress you might ask?  OK, here goes.  The last few years I have been experiencing something that I have never experienced before.  I see a black person and sometimes, instead of that person’s skin color being the first thing that comes to mind, I see something else.

I’ll give you an example.  Last summer I was waiting at a light and a jogger stopped just ahead of me.  He took off his shirt and I saw a very trim body; no body fat.  First, it was insane to be jogging in 115 degree heat but what was most strange about this experience is that something kept nagging me as I witnessed this young man strip off his shirt – I just couldn’t place what it was that was nagging me.  Than it hit me.  His skin was black.  This European’s skin was black.  And that is my breakthrough.  Now every once in a while when I see a black person I see some other dimension than skin color and it takes a while to register that this person is African, too.

So my breakthrough is that I saw a European where before I would have seen an African or to be honest where I would have seen a black person.  And it’s not about the skin color.  It’s about the whole package.  The whole package is that this person struck me as being European because he was so much more European than anything else that I didn’t see the anything else. 

I don’t know what this says about me that I can forget a black person's skin color but only infrequently.  I am almost afraid to ask.

But it is happening on a more frequent basis.  I am use to this happening when it is a white person or Hispanic or Asian or a mixed person of Asian and white heritage or of Hispanic and white heritage but having this happen with a black person or a mixed person of African and white heritage is a fairly recent development.

I think this might be happening now because of all the Indians from India I work with.  With Indians I oftentimes see a European person with dark skin.  The Indians often seem Italian or Irish or even German.  It is almost like I knew this guy back in Chicago but back then his name was Palumbo or Dieter or O’Malley not Surya or Javed or Dhiraj.  I don’t see how others don’t see this.  It is so evident. It’s like seeing double; same face, build, height, weight, etc.

I guess I thought this old dog couldn’t learn new tricks but now I know this old dog can still learn new tricks and I want to.

But I know more progress needs to be made. 

Why is it so hard to unlearn prejudice?

I think it is a trust thing.  Intellectually I know it is wrong but emotionally I must still not trust black people enough to let go of the underlying fears (whatever those fears are these fears exist even if I am not conscious of them and don’t even know how they got there) long enough to stop bringing race to the forefront instead of leaving it in the background where it belongs.

Did I mention I am a dark skin person?  And also gay?  Well, I mentioned that because I have gotten over most of my homophobia in a natural way so in my mind what I did for homophobia I should also be able to do for racism.

What did I do?  Well, I am a masculine gay man and for years I felt uncomfortable around effeminate gay men. Get an effeminate gay man around me and all I would notice was his hand flurries and the way he moved his hips and the voice, especially the voice, and I never, ever got beyond the fact that he was effeminate.  I wasn’t proud of how I felt even though all my masculine gay buddies felt as much or more disdain than I did.  They may have thought it was OK but I knew it was not OK even if I felt just as uncomfortable as they did.   Because after all how could I as a gay man expect to be treated equally by straight people when I had disdain for other gay people.  I mean I can’t actually demand respect when I was not giving it.  Yet I didn’t know how to let go of whatever it was that kept me from accepting my effeminate brothers as equals.  Fortunately for me, my best friend had an effeminate gay lover that cut my hair.  So every six or seven weeks I would sit down and talk to this effeminate guy with his flurry of hands and his sashaying hips and listen to that voice.  And what I found was a real human being.  Someone constantly stared at even when doing mundane things like grocery shopping.  Someone afraid to go into a men’s locker room.  I listened to him and laughed and joked and then one day, after months of getting my hair cut by him, I trusted him enough to let go of my fear of effeminate men (and who would have guess that a masculine man like me had a fear of effeminate men) long enough to start hearing what he had to say.  All I know is that one day all this static (“look at this hands flurrying”, “look at his hips sashaying”, that voice, omg, that voice) was gone and Chris (that’s what his name was) started coming through loud and clear.  I realized I was hearing Chris so much better because the static I had never before been aware of was gone.  I was really hearing Chris for the first time.  But get this.  It didn’t happen overnight.  It took time.  Lots of time.  But it was so worth the time and effort.  It was and is so liberating.

And that’s what I want to do with black people.  I want to rid myself of all that static.  But I am not there yet.  I guess that won’t happen until I make friends with a black person and then only if I have enough patience to give me enough time to trust enough to let go of that fear whatever it is.  But it has to happen naturally.  I won’t make friends with a black person just to get over my racism.  That’s like making a friend with an effeminate guy just to get over my homophobia. That’s just too insensitive.  I couldn’t do that to anyone even for a good cause.

But on the other hand, if some straight guy said to me “Phil, I like you but I want you to know that I am having trouble getting over the fact that you are gay” then I think I would react positively because I would know he was trying and there was a good chance of success.  However, I don’t think I would feel the same way if a white guy said to me that he liked me but that he wanted me to know that he was having trouble getting over the fact that I was Puerto Rican.  I know I would have more trouble with that because I would be thinking of my half Puerto Rican kids.

I guess that’s why talking about racism is more difficult to talk about than homophobia.  And why I am more willing to accept prejudice in others when it comes to my sexuality then when it comes to my ethnicity.  Because more often with race or ethnicity than with homosexuality it impacts people we love; people we love more than ourselves.

So my long range goal is not to become color blind but to have a person’s skin color just be another factor like hair or eye color or masculinity/femininity.  I just wish I could hurry the process along.

Because I know the person that would benefit the most if I could overcome my shortcomings would be me.  It would be so liberating.

Any thoughts?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have two black partners and there are several blacks among the office support staff. I often see my racism when I "disapprove" or "disagree" with their actions for reasons that may have more to do with racism than with reasoned judgement. But then the same happens when I work with someone from the South, or an evangelical.

My problem is not a lack of black or Southern or evangelical friends, it is the cultural prejudice that I have inherited. The best I can do is recognize the prejudice and consciously reject my prejudicial judgements. Will this ever come natural? Well, not so far.

Philip said...

Santorio says: My problem is not a lack of black or Southern or evangelical friends, it is the cultural prejudice that I have inherited. The best I can do is to recognize the prejudice and consciously reject my prejudicial judgments. Will this ever come natural? Well, not so far.

Santorio,

I too use to believe that the best I could do was to recognize the prejudice and consciously reject my prejudicial judgments.

And, like you, I continue to believe that what I am dealing with has a lot to do with the culture I grew up in even though it’s not something I consciously remember being taught.

But my experience with my effeminate friend Chris taught me that deep seated prejudices are not fixed in my psyche; that I could unlearn them.

And I learned that the reason that this prejudice was so stubborn was because I was dealing with an irrational fear and logic doesn’t work on irrational fears.

My problem is that I don’t know how to replicate what I did with Chris with others.

I had always felt uncomfortable around effeminate men despite for years truly wanting to not be and had long given up hope of ever getting over that discomfort. In fact, I believed that right up to the moment the discomfort stopped.

My friendship with Chris did not change my attitude for months. Then one day I became aware for the very first time of this fear I harbored about effeminate men and instantly knew the fear to be irrational and unfounded. I then let go of the fear. It was that easy. One minute the fear rose to the surface and the next minute I let it float away never to return. Problem solved.

I don’t think it will be that easy next time. In fact, I am pretty sure the experience will be very different though somewhat similar.

I just wish I had a template for making it happen again.

My guess is that my friendship with Chris after a long period of time somehow forced this deep seated fear to rise to the surface where it could be addressed.

And the only thing I can think of is that our friendship challenged my belief system so much that I eventually started to question beliefs I had never questioned before and somehow that questioning uncovered this fear placed in my psyche so long ago that I was not even aware it was there.

My intuition tells me that something similar is happening with how I feel about black people. It’s like there is this fundamental mistrust that keeps me on guard and while on guard I can’t see past the skin color.

But occasionally I let go of the fear and then the person’s skin color is relegated to the background so it’s not the one and only thing that defines him or her.

And each time the feeling is still so fresh that it surprises me.

Regards,
Philip

Mark said...

This was great, it's taken me a couple times to get through this long blog post.

I grew up in a really small town with no ethnic diversity. Now I am with someone who is not white and my world has kind of come down around me in a small way. I was forced to look at the prejudices I never thought I had and get over it. Pretty soon I found myself racist against white people.

Philip said...

You said: "Pretty soon I found myself racist against white people."

Do you mean that you are starting to see things from a non-white perspective and it is making you mad?

I'm Puerto Rican and I have gone through stages and have seen other "minorities" go through stages so I know it's not just the majority that has problems with different dimensions of diversity.

Let me give you a tour of some of those stages.

There is the initial stage where you take it personally when not being treated equally. You may blame yourself for the negative reaction and wonder what you said or did to offend. At this stage you may internalize the rejection and negative values and may even start feeling inferior.

Then there is the stage where you realize that it's not about you at all but instead about being judged for something you have no control over - the color of your skin or how you look or your sexuality. At this stage you may be upset but still be hoping for reconciliation but you are getting tired of the rejection.

Then there is the stage where you are so tired of being treated unfairly that you decide not to give them a chance to reject you anymore so you reject them before they can reject you. This stage you have lost trust and start rejecting their values.

Then there is the stage where you are more fully rejecting the majority's values and instead take pride in your minority and embrace your minority's values. At this stage you may even start feeling superior to the majority.

Then there is the stage where you expect rejection and become militant in your outlook. You may not only feel superior; you may find justifications for your rejection of the majority.

Then there is the stage where you encounter members of the majority who actually try to treat you equally but the hurt is still so fresh in your mind that you cannot accept their acceptance and instead eye everything they do with suspicion. At this stage you are still too hurt to start letting go of your anger.

Then there is the stage where members of the majority actually convince you that they may truly be accepting of you and you start to let go of your fear of rejection and start opening yourself up to possibly trusting them again.

Then there is the stage where you realize that you are doing to "them" what they did to you. That is judging them based on something they have no control of such as skin color, how they look or their sexuality. At this stage you may feel shame for doing to them what they did to you.

Then there is what I think is the final stage when you stop seeing them as a member of a group but instead start seeing them as just people. Now you have come full circle and can start more fully trusting and feeling safe enough to lower your guard. At this stage you start judging based on the content of the person's character instead of the group he or she belongs to.

In other words, the minority person has come full circle and re-enters the larger community he or she previously rejected but this time as an equal and may actually start feeling like he or she belongs; often for the very first time.

Remember what Michelle Obama said about finally feeling proud of being an American after her husband got elected. What I think she meant was that she had always been proud of being an American but never before felt like she belonged until the majority of America elected her husband (one of "them") President.

That feeling of belonging is something I felt for the very first time after that election.

And I bet I was not the only one.

Unfortunately, the politics that followed shortly after spoiled that feeling of belonging for many of us.

Especially after hearing comments like "I want my country back."

So you see it's not just the majority that has issues with people being different.

And it's not just the majority that stereotypes or has to get over their stereotypes.

Regards,
Philip

Andy said...

I just found your post, by linking to comments you have made in other blogs.

I finally admitted this past year that I was predjudiced against outwardly gay men. I lived a "gay lifestyle" for a decade, before leaving and going back to the church, largely because I was turned off by effeminate men (gay or straight). I couldn't identify with that part of gay culture so came to the conclusion that I must not be gay.

Wrong thinking. I got married and now deal with all that, while still being just as gay as ever. I'm sorry I didn't understand at the time how pig headed and wrong I was.

Philip said...

Andy,

Unfortunately you have lots of company.

I think many gay men including a fair number of effeminate gay men are prejudice against our effeminate brothers.

My experience is that prejudice starts with ignorance and ignorance begats fear and fear begats hate and there is both an intellectual and emotional component to prejudice.

And education works well dealing with the intellectual component of prejudice but it doesn't work as well with the emotional component.

So remnants of prejudice persist long after you know it is wrong to feel the way you do.

What I found was that I had to expose myself to the object of my prejudice so reality oould intrude on my irrational fears and challenge them to such an extent that with time I could let go of my irrational fears and start seeing the object of my prejudice as just a person.

And if there is one thing I have learned about myself is that there is nothing about me that is uncommon.

What I am trying to say is that if I can do it then so can you.

I would never have guessed that I could overcome my prejudice against effeminate men until the very moment I did.

Regards,
Philip