Sunday, December 11, 2011

Two dreams....

I am in a warehouse.  It is a warehouse of old people.  Doctors and nurses are milling around going from patient to patient.  I look all around me.  My eyes keep coming back to this one woman.  She is somehow familiar.  Her hair is grey and brittle; her breasts sag underneath her sweater.  I have never seen this woman before but then I know who she is.  She is my wife and she is waiting.  Seems to me that she has been waiting all her life.  I realize I am lying in a cot.  I don’t feel any pain but I know I am dying.

I ask God if in death will we finally find happiness.  I wait but God does not answer.  Then I know.  No, not even in death will we find happiness.

I wake up crying.  But after a while I am able to fall back asleep.

I am on the Burlington Northern train heading out of Chicago to Berwyn where I live.  I am young again.  I have wonderful news and am so excited.  I don’t know what the wonderful news is but it is big.  And there is only one person in the whole wide world that I want to tell this news to.  The closer I get to my destination, the more excited I get.  But it’s not clear in my mind who that person is.  Finally the train halts to a stop.  I get off and start walking briskly.  I walk faster and faster until I break out into a run.  My heart is pounding.  Then I know who that special person is.  It is her.  It is her.  I am running to her.

I wake up crying again.  This time I am afraid to fall back asleep.  Daylight finally arrives and I get up to start my day. 

2 comments:

Mark said...

Sounds like really intense dreams. How long after them were you in an emotional funk?

Philip said...

How long was I in an emotional funk?

For a while.

I kept thinking about the young man I use to be and how hopeful and excited about the future I had been and then contrasted that with how I feel now.

But then what started resonating with me was how I felt about her in my dreams.

In the first dream I was dying but what mattered most was if we would finally find happiness.

And in the second dream she was special, the one and only person I wanted to share my happiest moment with.

I have questioned how much I really love her from time to time.

But these dreams are proof that my love for her is real and very much alive.

And I am thankful for that knowledge.

Regards,
Philip